The allure of casinos is obvious: signup, deposit money, play some games, and hopefully cash out with profits in hand. One of the favorite hooks online casinos use is a running tally of their networked progressive slots jackpots. While the prospect of spinning a one armed bandit once and winning in excess of $500,000 USD is exciting, it is highly unlikely. In fact, you’d be better off literally flushing your money down the toilet in the long run, because slot machines are the best performing games for the house. Well, it’s time that you learn about a few other bets that are worthwhile; bets that offer much better odds than slot machines and are more likely to come in than a jackpot slot machine spin.
First, you’re going to need to learn table games and video poker. Forget slots altogether. For some, this may feel like a leap over a steep cliff, but in reality learning table games will increase your odds of winning. More importantly, you’re going to need to shift your focus from winning one big jackpot once in your life to winning small amounts of money on a regular basis that buildup your bankroll over time. Think about it: there are probably only 20 major jackpot winners in the course of a year across ALL casinos. If you take into consideration the fact that you’re one of millions playing at once, it’s easy to see why chasing slots jackpots is futile.
The following list of player friendly bets assumes that you have a working knowledge of each game. Bear in mind that rule variations from casino to casino may affect your results. So, even though reading your casino’s terms and conditions is very boring, you might be able to ferret out which games are most favorable to the player.
- Blackjack: Doubling Down on 11. Blackjack is one of the most popular table games, and offers players a reasonable chance of making money. During the course of play, you might find that you’re dealt 2 cards that give you a total of 11. When this occurs, you should always double down, EXCEPT against an ace (in which case you just hit). Why? Well if you think about it, 11 is one of the most favorable hands a player can have, because doubling down could result in a bigger win. Additionally, doubling on 11 means you have no chance of busting, because the highest card you could get (a 10 value card) would make a hand of 21. Anytime the game allows you to bet more under favorable circumstances, do so. To learn more about basic strategy and doubling down, visit our Blackjack page – Click HERE.
- Roulette: The Double Dozens Bet. Roulette is more difficult to beat than blackjack. The odds are stacked against the player in the long run, however, it’s possible to make a few small wins if the ball drops on the right numbers. Consider what we can “The Double Dozens” bet: pick one of the betting areas on the table that divides the field into 3 pieces (excluding the zeros), and then place two equal bets on two of the three areas. If you win this bet, you’ll get one of your bets back plus 2:1 money. So, if you bet $5 each on two spaces, for a total bet of $10, and win one of the $5 bets, you get paid $10 on the winner plus get the $5 bet back ($15), less the losing $5 bet, for a final total of $10, a $5 net profit on your wager. Essentially, each successful double dozens bet makes a 50% profit. If you should lost this bet, the downside can be treacherous. Instead of making $5, you’ll lose $10, and have to make that back on subsequent wagers.
- Play Roulette at This IS Vegas Casino – Rival Gaming – USA and International Players Welcome
Craps: Odds Bet. Some casinos offer what is called an “odds bet” in Craps. The first step is to place a successful pass line bet. Next, after the point has been thrown, you place a bet behind your original pass line bet and take “odds” that any number other than 7 will come in on the subsequent die throw. The Wizard of Odds website states it best:
Wizard of Odds on craps: The odds are simply an additional wager that the point will be rolled before a 7. Because seven is the most likely total roll, you win more than even money when you win. Specifically, if the point is a 6 or 8 the odds pay 6 to 5, if the point is a 5 or 9 the odds pay 3 to 2, and if the point is a 4 or 10 the odds pay 2 to 1. These are exactly statistically fair payouts.
As you can see, the odds bet can be a great way to mitigate the house edge, and make some quick money in the process. Important: not all casinos offer the same odds for these types of wagers. Always visit your casino’s game instructions page to learn more. At most online casinos, the odds bet payouts are small, but still helpful in the long run towards making, not losing, money.
There you have it: 3 bets that can be extremely helpful to casino players. Remember, as always, you have to take short run profits and know when to leave. If you get ahead and continue to play, eventually, you’re going to start to hemorrhage money. Play smart and “Know when to fold’em”.
Try these bets at these top online casinos:
- Rushmore Casino – RTG – USA and International Players Welcome
- Da Vinci’s Gold Casino – Rival Gaming – USA and International Players Welcome
- Casino Classic Casino – Microgaming – International Players Only
- Jackpot City Casino – Microgaming – International Players Only
Good Luck from Jaxcasinos.com!